Importance of Lighting in the Kitchen
If you are renovating your kitchen or making plans for your brand new one, keep in mind kitchen lighting. This is one of the areas that most people brush over or completely wait until the last minute on. However, your lighting is integral to the theme, style, and mood of your kitchen. Below you will find more information on the importance of lighting in the kitchen and what to consider when planning your kitchen space.
The Importance of Lighting and Your Kitchen
Lighting is an integral component to a good kitchen design. Consider the following when planning your kitchen lighting.
- Natural Light: Consider the amount of natural light you will have coming into your kitchen space. There are so many benefits to natural lighting, so it’s great to take advantage of it you can. Focus on balancing your natural and artificial lighting so they complement one another.
- Vision Needs: If you don’t have the best vision, consider adding extra light in your kitchen. While a dimly lit room can be romantic, the kitchen may not be the space to try out this ambiance. Between food preparation, meals, and the day-to-day activities in a kitchen, it proves best to have a well-lit area.
- Kitchen Layout: Your kitchen layout will determine a lot when it comes to lighting. Consider the layout of your electrical plan, in addition to the layout of your actual kitchen space. Remember lighting remains needed above tables and countertops, so plan accordingly in terms of placement.
Types of Lighting
If you can hire someone to do all of the planning mentioned above that’s great! Having a kitchen designer assist you with your kitchen lighting solutions can take a lot of work off of your hands. However, if you want to do a little extra research on your own to be sure things are going as you would like, consider the three types of lighting all good kitchen planners incorporate into the space.
- General Lighting: This type of lighting fills in the gaps that accent and task lighting don’t reach. Kitchen designers often suggest using recessed lighting for these areas. Recessed lighting is often installed into the ceiling and consists of pendant lights. Pendant lights are clusters of lights that provide a good amount of dispersed light to ensure the general lighting needs are met.
- Task Lighting: This type of lighting is necessary to light up areas needed for preparing meals or doing other kitchen-related tasks. These are often found under cabinets and they assist in lighting up your countertop area. Consider your kitchen countertop surface when choosing lights as high gloss surfaces may need light diffusers to help with the potential glare.
- Accent Lighting: This type of lighting is focused on highlighting certain areas of your kitchen. For example, if you have artwork, a luxurious wine rack, or even a fireplace, accent lighting can draw people’s attention to the area. This can not only highlight the areas of your kitchen that you find desirable. But it can also keep attention away from areas you don’t want noticed.
Contemporary Style Kitchen
If you are considering a kitchen remodel and looking for lighting solutions or new cabinetry, contact Kitchen Works LA. They can provide you with the best materials, designs, and customer service to ensure your kitchen renovation needs are met. They can help you elevate your contemporary style kitchen to the next level. Choosing Kitchen Works LA for your kitchen needs is a great investment into your kitchen, and a benefit to the overall value of your home. Contact Kitchen Works LA today with any questions you have about your lighting and cabinetry needs!