Dealing with mold in your home can be timely and costly. So taking the time to focus on learning how to prevent mold in the kitchen is well worth it. Just like the bathroom, the kitchen can be a nice breeding ground for mold to grow due to the moisture that comes from the activities done in the area. Between cooking and spills, mold can grow in the corners of your kitchen, your refrigerator, and even in your garbage disposal. The problem with mold is that it can have a major impact on your health and wellness.
How to Prevent Mold in the Kitchen
Knowing how to prevent mold in the kitchen is more than a matter of aesthetics. Mold can be dangerous for you and your family. Below is all the info you need to keep your kitchen beautiful and your family safe.
Mold Hot Spots
While you can’t do a full kitchen deep clean after every meal or even every day, focus on the following mold hot spot areas to prevent mold before it has the chance to even start.
- Trash Area: No matter how you store your garbage, take it out each night. Trash cans are often moist, dark, and create an environment where mold can thrive. This is the same for garbage disposals. Rinse and clean out your garbage disposal every night when you take out the trash.
- Food Storage: Refrigerators and other food storage areas are also hotbeds for mold growth. Mold can easily grow in your fridge despite the cool temperature. This is because the temperature changes when the door is opened and closed can create enough moisture for mold to grow on your food. The mold spores can be easily spread to your new food. Take inventory of your fridge every few days and throw out or freeze any leftovers that are more than a few days old.
- Corners: Between corners on your floor to your countertops, there are many opportunities for mold growth. These spaces are usually closer together, have water built up, and even leftover crumbs that can contribute to an environment that hosts mold. Sweep after you cook and wipe down the corners of your countertops before you head to bed to be safe.
- Kitchen Tools: Appliances, cutting boards, and wooden spoons can all host mold. When preparing food and cleaning up, these surfaces can be ignored if you are in a hurry. Wiping down all of your appliances, washing up things like cutting boards, and allowing everything to fully dry before putting it away is integral to avoid mold growth.
Tips for Mold Prevention
Instead of worrying about mold, follow the following mold prevention tips, so you don’t have to even think about it.
- Regularly Clean: Mold can start growing in as fast as just 24 hours. If you cook or prepare food, do a sweep over the kitchen floor and wipe off the counters. Try and mop at least once a week to keep the floors clean. Focus on daily maintenance versus doing a deep clean once a week.
- Cabinets: While you want to wipe down the handles and outside of your cabinets, be sure and check the insides as well. If you put your dishes away, even slightly wet mold can grow in your cabinets as they are dark and can get humid. Custom kitchen cabinets Los Angeles made from quality materials can help, but you should still regularly check your cabinets.
- Wash Your Dishes: Keep your sink clean and wash your dishes daily. Leaving them out to dry after they are washed is fine as long as there is something to catch any residual water. However, leaving dirty dishes in your sink or dishwasher can create a great space for mold to grow.
- Stove Fan: Utilize your stove fan when cooking to keep the humidity levels down. Humidity and fluctuating temperatures are problematic as they can make it easier for mold to grow.
- Ditch Old Food: If you are not going to eat your leftovers, put them in the trash and take them away. Keeping old food around isn’t healthy as old moldy food can infect new food making it unhealthy.
If you are looking for new cabinets and want an expert opinion on your new kitchen plans, contact Kitchen Works LA. Kitchen Works LA offers the best overall custom kitchen cabinet systems in the United States in both quality and innovation. For those who would like some extra support with their kitchen cabinetry needs, scheduling a free consultation with Kitchen Works LA is simple and easy as you can complete the form online. Choosing Kitchen Works LA for your kitchen needs is a great investment into your kitchen, and a benefit to the overall value of your home.